Monday, April 21, 2014

When Your Baby Gets The Blues

...or green and cloudy, which was our case.  Jackson had a playdate with a kiddo weeks ago that was sick... and I don't want to knock anyone, but when your kid has a cold, it's kind of important to tell the playdate-ee before not after you've gotten in the door, taken your shoes and jacket, but I digress. 


It's taken me about 18 months to earn my degree in boogers.  I know more about boogers, snot, mucus, or whatever you call it.  I don't want to brag, but I'm pretty advanced.  Jackson had a stuffy nose for a couple weeks and it was pretty gross.  His nose got rather raw from all the wiping, and he had a hard time sleeping at night.  My poor little man.  When our little guys get stuffy noses it stinks because they can't get those yukkas out.  Who knew blowing your nose was an advanced skill??  So we need to help them!  Here's my little list of go-to things to help relieve those annoying stuffy noses and make the cuties feel more comfy.

1.  Johnson's Soothing Vapor Bath - $4.50
This stuff is amazeballs!  Whenever Jackson starts to show any sign of congestion, this is our immediate go to! It smells like liquid vapor rub!  When hubs gives Jackson a bath with this he says his nose just runs and is helpful clearing his immediate nose passages.  I may or may not've used this myself as well.
 
2. Vicks Baby Vapor Rub - $7
This one is specifically for kiddos under two.  The smells of any vapor rub immediately makes me feel better.  I remember my own mother using this on me!  Chest, back, neck and feet with socks if there is a cough -- all of it!  No noses though! That's no good for bebes.
 
3. Boogie Wipes - $4
 
So there are some commotion around these.  People question whether they are necessary or not.  For us... without a doubt.  I cannot stannnnnd crusty noses.  It makes me reallllllllly -eeeeeeesh-. Boogie Wipes are saline wipes and are PERFECT for wiping off the "crust" that comes with runny noses.  Gross it may be, but ya'll know what I am talking about.  One quick swipe of these and G-O-N-E! I can't believe how efficient they are.  I feel like with a wet cloth/towel or a baby wipe, you have to wipe multiple times.  But with these... nope! 
 
 
4. Little Noses Saline Spray
This little guy is a necessity with bebe's crusties lol.  Their little nostrils are too small to get... um... er... anything up there, and you gotta get it out.  Two drops will cause all those crusties to turn into liquid and evacuate the nose.  They are perfect in correlation with...
 
5. NoseFrida - $15
I LOVE talking about this product with non-parents lol.  It legitimately grosses them out... and to be honest, it did gross me out too before I tried it out.  The Snotsucker?? Doesn't it get in your mouth? You stick that in his nose?? Yes... yes you do.  And yes, you literally suck the snots out of his nose.  It has a filter piece so there is absolutely no way you get those boogies in your mouth.  I like it because it reaches the sinuses... the WAAAAAY up there boogs and not just the immediate ones like a regular aspirator can.
 
 
6. Cool Mist Humifider
We like this one from Safety First, but I am not picky about this one.  You need to have one of these.  We even put it on every night.  And make sure it's cool mist, as not to burn little ones with steam.
 
It goes without saying that lots of cuddles and kisses are in order as well, but those are priceless!
 
What is in your kit for little ones with stuffy noses?  Do you also have your PhD in crusty noses? 
 

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you how much I really like reading these posts...I smile because your I can "hear" you as you are writing it and it always brings a smile to my face. It is always interesting for me to see the "new" stuff they have now that wasn't around when you were little.... cuddles and kisses were always priceless and loved (and still are).

    ReplyDelete