Saturday, February 22, 2014

Look What I Made - DIY with Me: Latch Board

So hubs has finally done his part in our little DIY project for Baby J, so I can finally show this cute little project we created!
 "What the heck is that?..." You say.  It's a latch board!  It was super easy to create and fairly cheap, too. 

Whatcha Need:
  • A piece of wood/board -- we had one laying around the house the shed that I scooped up.
  • Duct tape -- I preferred cutesy duct tape, which was $5 for the roll!  But if you have regular, that's perfectly fine too.
  • Different Latches -- I got mine from Walmart for about $2-$5 each.  You can get as many or as few as you'd like, just remember some of them need room to streeeeeetch (like the slider one in the top left.)
  • Electric Drill/Screwdriver

Whatcha Do:
1. Cover the edges of the wood with the duct tape.  This prevents those pesky splinters from getting into precious hands (and handy dudes, too). You can round the corners on the wood, if you'd like to make it super safe as well. 
2. Play around with the placement of your latches. Remember to leave space for those ones that need it!
3. Grab your handy dude (or do it yourself if you're not vertically challenged like me and can't get the leverage to use the drill, pesky thing...) and use that electric drill (or screwdriver, if you're Heman) and get to work! 
4. If you have a few pokey holes like we did, cover the backside with duct tape, too, which Hubs did without even being asked... awww. 

It kept this little guy busy for a good ten minutes! Whaaaaaa... ten minutes?! Ten minutes in a lot in his world... and mine.  His little hands loved exploring what each latch could do and how it can move.   I plan on using it when it comes to longer car rides that he could fall asleep during. 
 





Annnnnd if you're not the DIY type, you can also buy one of these types of toys from the beloved Melissa and Doug brand!
<---- Just click here to go to Amazon!




Try it out and show me your pics! I'd love to see your variation on this super easy, but fun and beneficial toy!

Kisses & Hugs - TPD






 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I saw a similar one on Pinterest a while ago, and have been meaning to make one, but alas, my 1 and 3 year old keep me so busy it's hard to find time! Maybe I'll get one of the Melissa and Doug ones you mentioned :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Melissa and Doug ones first and I thought that they were so cool. I'm weird about things... I'm like I can totally do that and don't take into consideration what may actually go into it. Thank goodness for a patient hubs!

      Delete